Friday, March 02, 2007

High water



We had a big rain storm last night. We are not flooding, but the creek is quite high. About 9 feet plus. My experience with the Perkiomen creek will not do any major flooding since the rain is over (1-2 inches?). I worry when we get three to four over night, or four or more over a day or two. BUT we did have melting of ice that was on top of the smaller streams, so that throws in a curve ball. The Graterford gage is at 9 feet +, normal height is 2 feet. 11 feet is flooding, around 12 feet it is on my driveway in my garage, around 14 feet it starts coming in the lower floor/basement my bank house. That said at this point I am not worried.

If you want to watch stream flows take a look at the webpage I work on for the Chester County, County Animal Response Team at:
http://www.chescocart.org/links.html#Local
I have a stream flows for Chester County creeks and the river listed there.

This page has a nice general map of Pennsylvania and you can click on the dots to see other stream and river levels.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/rt

It is 58 degrees out, and overcast. The flickers come daily now that I have suet out. I have seen a bluejay more regularly the past week. The mergansers and mallards, and geese have stayed all winter. I just saw about 8 of them fly by. Yesterday I saw four brown waterfowl, one clearly with a white ringed neck fly upstream. I have no idea what they were. Right now the fog is beginning to roll in.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home